► Nazi criminals hunters Beate and Serge Klarsfeld located the whereabouts of SS-Hauptsturmführer Klaus Barbie.

Photo: Klaus Barbie's trial (source:    storify.com   )

Photo: Klaus Barbie's trial (source: storify.com)

As a head of the Gestapo in Lyon, Barbie became famous for his cruelty and ruthlessness and in the occupied by the Third Reich France earned the nickname "Butcher of Lyon". Klaus Barbie according to documented sources was responsible for the deportation to death camps of 7.5 thousand Jews, murder of 4342 people and arrest and torture of 14 311 members of the French Resistance. In years 1945-1955 Klaus Barbie was employed and protected by the British and Americans. He was working as an agent and got engaged in anti-communists fight. In 1955 Barbie benefited from the support of the Vatican administration (bishop Alois Hudal) and fled with his family to Argentina. Later he moved to Bolivia and as Klaus Altmann lived in La Paz, where he was a drug mafia boss. He also participated in a local coup. In 1971 he was recognized by the Klarsfeld couple but only got arrested when newly elected Bolivial government took over the power. The arrest took place on 18 January 1983. Barbie was extradited to France. Criminal processing began on 11 May 1987 at French court in Lyon.

Photo: Klaus Barbie just after the criminal trial (source:    geopolis.francetvinfo.fr   )

Photo: Klaus Barbie just after the criminal trial (source: geopolis.francetvinfo.fr)

Exceptionally due to the historical value of the court case it was allowed to film it. In the view of numerous crime evidence on 4 July 1987 Klaus Barbie was sentenced to life imprisonment (maximum sentence). He died in prison of leukemia in 1991.
► December. The body of SS General Martin Bormann was found. He was Adolf Hitler's deputy and personal secretary, always at his side, enjoyed the absolute trust of the Führer, who used to say: "To win the war, I need Bormann!".

Photo: Martin Bormann (first from the right) with Hitler and Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop (Source:    www.dailymail.co.uk   )

Photo: Martin Bormann (first from the right) with Hitler and Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop (Source: www.dailymail.co.uk)

In the Nuremberg trials Martin Bormann was in absentia sentenced to death. In December 1971 during a construction work in the center of Berlin the skeletons of two men were found. On the basis of their teeth and other anatomical features they have been formally identified by German court as remains as Bormann and Stumpfegger. DNA testing done in 1998 confirmed the accuracy of the court ruling back then. Bormann was killed in 1945 while trying to escape. Son of Martin Bormann - Adolf Martin Bormann Junior was the godson of Adolf Hitler. He's spent all his life on apologizing for the atrocities of his father.

Photo: Martin Bormann Junior (source :    studgenpol.blogspot.com    )

Photo: Martin Bormann Junior (source : studgenpol.blogspot.com )

Martin Bormann Junior became a Catholic priest and for years served as a missionary in Congo. Along with a Jewish group he made a pilgrimage to Auschwitz. He also traveled to Israel where he met with the Holocaust survivors.
► A high-ranking Nazi politician Richard Wendler who was the Governor of Krakow and Lublin districts during the war once again was brought before a German court and once again was acquitted. The story of his gradual clearing of all the allegations until complete acquittal really cries out to heavens for vengeance. It was Richard Wendler who decided to set up a ghetto in Czestochowa. SS - Gruppenführer Wendler was responsible for the deaths and repressions against civilian population in areas under his influence and of the looting of private and public properties. Richard Wendler belonged to the Nazi "elite" - his sister was Heinrich Himmler's sister in law.

Photo: Generals: Walter Somme, Ernst Boepple and Richard Wendler (far right on the podium) on Adolf Hitler square in Krakow (now Market Square) during the "Day of the fallen heroes" parade (source:    nick.salon24.pl/589670,ss-gruppenf-hrer-wendler-i-skrzynie-lupow-z-polskich-kosciolow   )

Photo: Generals: Walter Somme, Ernst Boepple and Richard Wendler (far right on the podium) on Adolf Hitler square in Krakow (now Market Square) during the "Day of the fallen heroes" parade (source: nick.salon24.pl/589670,ss-gruppenf-hrer-wendler-i-skrzynie-lupow-z-polskich-kosciolow)

After the war fearing extradition to Poland Wendler adopted false name Kurt Kummermehr and as such captured by Americans in 1945 was released immediately. His real identity came to light only in August 1948 which led to his imprisonment in an internment camp in Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart. On 20 December 1948 the denazification court in northern Württemberg classified Wendler as "Haupschuldiger" or "major offender". Wendler appealed against this decision but on 28 April 1945 the court upholds the first judgment and yet on 20 December 1949 Richard Wendler was released and returned back home. From now he lived in Munich where he run a law firm. However that was not enough for him. Criminal strived for a full rehabilitation. As a lawyer he knew how to write appeals. And indeed: on 12 September 1952 he was moved to a "Belasteter" category or "offender". On this basis his confiscated property was returned. However Richard Wendler was still not satisfied and fighting for complete clearance. He appealed for clemency ... and surprisingly on 1 November 1955 Wendler was classified as "Mitläufer" or "follower."

Photo: Report on goods deposited in the municipal and district savings bank in Hof from the Lublin concentration camp at the request of Dr. Richard Wendler; the report was prepared by the American soldiers who found the goods in Hof: two chests containing valuable items (including 1 gold chalice, 24 gold liturgical vessels, 41 gold knives, 41 gold spoons, 41 gold forks), 27 April 1945 (source: nick.salon24.pl/589670,ss-gruppenf-hrer-wendler-i-skrzynie-lupow-z-polskich-kosciolow).
SS - Gruppenführer Wendler was once more disturbed by a German court in 1971 but he was defended by his colleague Dr. Alfred Seidl, the famous attorney of Hans Frank and Rudolf Hess so proceedings were quickly terminated. Richard Wendler died a year later as a free, innocent man.