► January 23rd. In connection with the upcoming elections and from fear of losing votes of the displaced population, the Social Democratic Party of Germany (SPD - Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands) leadership issued a special statement emphasizing "the right [of Germans] to the eastern lands."
► February. Ghana authorities transfer Horst Schumann to Germany.

Carl Clauberg (left) and Horst Schumann (at the front) (source:    www.majdanek.com.pl/eksperymenty/auschwitz.html   )

Carl Clauberg (left) and Horst Schumann (at the front) (source: www.majdanek.com.pl/eksperymenty/auschwitz.html)

At the beginning of war Schumann dealt with the euthanasia program of the "unworthy" people, that was in the view of Nazis the mentally ill and crippled. In autumn 1942, he started his experiments in block 30 of the Auschwitz-Birkenau camp on X-ray and chemical sterilization of women and men. Chemical sterilization of women was to inject in the genital tract about 5-10 ml of irritants that would cause inflammation and atresia of the fallopian tubes. These pseudo-experiments Schumann conducted even in 8-year-old girls. Anesthesia was not used. At least 120-140 Gypsy girls were sterilized in this way. Sterilization by X-ray irradiation was done by X-ray irradiation of male gonadal, usually causing skin burns and damage to the intestines. Exposed gonads were brutally removed (from alive prisoners or after death) and then examined under amicroscope. After the war Schumann doctor- the killer settled down in Gladbeck, in Germany and was working there as a sports doctor. He was recognized in 1950 so he fled from Germany to Japan. He then worked on ships, often changing location. In the end Schumann moved to Africa, Sudan where from 1955-1959 he worked as a doctor. Again he was identified in 1959 after a reportage about his work. He then fled to Liberia and afterwards to Ghana. In February 1966 the government of Ghana handed over Schumann to the German authorities. His trial began much later in September 1970 in Frankfurt am Main. However it was never concluded. Due to his "poor health" Schumann was released from prison and remained under police supervision. As it turned out Schumann simulated his illness by drinking his own blood which seemed like a bleeding from duodenal ulcer. He was banned from practicing medicine. Schumann died on May 5, 1983 in Frankfurt.
► April 26th. Landsmanschaft "Silesia" launched an appeal to the government to relentlessly defend the German rights to Silesia (after 1945 under Polish and Czech jurisdiction according to the international agreements). The same homeland association organized on 11 - 13 June in Hanover a congress of displaced from Silesia, where among others Chancellor Ludwig Erhard and Vice-Chancellor Erich Mende gave their speeches.

BdV poster, 1966 (source: Bundesarchiv, poster 006-035-011    www.blz.bayern.de/blz/eup/01_10/2.asp   )

BdV poster, 1966 (source: Bundesarchiv, poster 006-035-011 www.blz.bayern.de/blz/eup/01_10/2.asp)

► The foundation of National-Democratic Union of Universities NHB, the student organization closely associated with the neo-Nazi party NPD. There were 19 NHB student groups in years 1960-1970 wit total of 260 members. The NHB organization was the first to use the term Nationalbefreite Zonen - "nationally liberated zones".
► May 9th. The first congress of the far right neo-Nazi NPD party. The electoral program of the NPD claimed that the new country borders were harmful and demanded amnesty for "all Germans." NPD received full support the German Reich Party - the two parties decided to jointly go to the elections. After the elections on December 4th a special convention was held, which formally dissolved the German Reich Party and its members joined the the NPD.
► August 8th. Election rally of the German Christian Democratic Union party (CDU - Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands). It was combined with a manifestation of the so-called "Lost lands".
► The first director of the Central Office of the State Justice Administrations for the Investigation of National Socialist Crimes in Ludwigsburg, Erwin Schüle was forced to resign. It turned out that he was a member of the SA, the Nazi party and the Wehrmacht soldier. In 1945 Schüle was captured by Russians and sentenced to death by Soviet courts. Sentence was changed to 25 years in prison. In 1950 Russians handed Erwin Schüle back to Germany. In Germany immediately upon arrival he was employed in the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Justice. On March 1, 1958 Schüle was promoted to the Attorney General position and on December 1, 1958 he became the first director of the newly created Central Office of the State Justice Administrations which main task was to investigate the Nazi Crimes. In February 1965 the East German intelligence service revealed Erwin Schüle's past and in September of that year the Soviet Union sent a note to the federal government in which Schüle was recognized as a war criminal. In December the German Prosecutor General's Office launched an investigation against Erwin Schüle but as "usual" after few months there was "lack of a reasonable suspicion" and the investigation was closed. After that the Soviet authorities provided their evidence (movie Die Sache von Erwin Schüle) and witnesses' testimonies. However the German prosecutor's office did not allow the evidence and the investigation against Schüle was terminated once more.

Photo (the only publicly available?) of Erwin Schüle (source:    www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/ns-aufarbeitung-fotostrecke-107878-8.html   )

Photo (the only publicly available?) of Erwin Schüle (source: www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/ns-aufarbeitung-fotostrecke-107878-8.html)

Until 31 August 1966 Erwin Schüle was the head of the Central Office for the Investigation of Nazi Crimes in Ludwigsburg and later hired as a senior prosecutor in Stuttgart. In 1978 Schüle was awarded the Grand Cross of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany. Erwin Schüle was listed in the "brown Book".
► October 24th. Official "friendly" meeting of former Waffen SS formations' members.
► December 1st. Kurt Georg Kiesinger became German Chancellor, he was a Nazi politician, since 1933 NSDAP member and in 1940-1945 the head of the propaganda department to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Reich. After the war Kiesinger was the honorary chairman of the CDU in Wirtemberg- Hohenzollern. In 1948 the denazification commission dropped all charges against K.G. Kiesinger.